Your questions answered
Who is a Christian Science Nurse?
“A member of The Mother Church...who thoroughly understands the practical wisdom necessary in the sick room, and who can take proper care of the sick."
The founder of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy, established the authority and standard for the Christian Science Nurse in 1908, in the Manual of The Mother Church (Page 49, Article Vlll, Section 31).
Why call a Christian Science Nurse?
The Christian Science Nurse brings spiritual reassurance and provides skilled physical care consistent with the theology of Christian Science and cares for those depending on prayer for healing as explained in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy.
What specifically do Christian Science Nurses do?
• Provide general bedside nursing care
• Bathe and shampoo
• Cleanse and dress wounds
• Prepare meals when necessary
• Read the Weekly Bible Lesson and other Christian Science literature to the patient.
• Give practical advice to family members on how to care for the loved one in need
• Faithfully and consistently affirm the patient’s spirituality
• Create an atmosphere in the sickroom of encouragement, expectancy of healing and spiritual reassurance
• Christian Science Nurses do not administer drugs or provide any sort of physical therapy or other medical treatment.
What if I can't afford the services of a Christian Science Nurse?
Financial assistance is available to all patients through the NSW Nursing Service and patients are advised that it is acceptable for them to pay whatever is within their means.
It is the policy of the Nursing Service that anyone relying on Christian Science for healing should have access to Christian Science Nursing regardless of financial circumstances.
What is pastoral care and is there a charge?
Pastoral care refers to visits made to Christian Scientists who might be housebound or unable to attend their local church and would like one of our Christian Science Nurses to read The Weekly Bible Lesson to them and discuss truths to uplift and give comfort. There is no charge to the patient for these visits.
How do I find a Christian Science Nurse?
Sharon duToit, Sydney, NSW
firstname.lastname@example.org / 0450 412 949
Christine Nicholson, Michelago, NSW
email@example.com / 0401 689 062
For Christian Science Nurses Australia-wide:
• Check the listings under Nurses in the Directory section of The Christian Science Journal or
• Contact a local Christian Science practitioner
A Christian Science Perspective on the Coronavirus
"You have no power over me" by Even Mehlenbacher, from the Christian Science Sentinel, April 2 2020:
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”